Textbook chapters (only one of the following books is necessary, the information covered in the concept questions is
found in each of the books).
• Chapter 5: Anatomy and Physiology by OpenStax College
• Chapter 5: Visual Anatomy and Physiology by Martini and Ober
• Chapter 6: Hole’s Anatomy and Physiology by Shier, Butler, and Lewis
1. Describe the protective function of the skin.
Concept Storyline: Skin Functions
2. Compare and contrast the composition and location of the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis.
Concept Storyline: Skin Layers
3. Describe the composition, function, and relative location of each of the five layers of the epidermis.
Concept Storyline: Epidermis
4. Describe the location and function of keratinocytes and melanocytes.
Concept Storyline: Skin Cells
5. Describe the relationship between epidermal ridges and dermal papillae.
Concept Storyline: Epidermal Ridges
6. Compare and contrast the structure, function, and location of the dermal papillary layer versus the reticular layer.
Concept Storyline: Dermis
7. Compare and contrast the structure and function of the skin exocrine glands, hair, and nails.
Concept Storyline: Skin Accessory Structures
8. Compare and contrast the causes and outcomes of basal cell carcinoma versus malignant melanoma.
Concept Storyline: Skin Cancer
9. Describe the role of the skin in the regulation of body temperature.
Concept Storyline: Body Temperature
Michelle Murphy, M.S., M.Ed.
Lake Region State College