Textbook chapters (only one of the following books is necessary, the information covered in the concept questions is
found in each of the books).
• Chapter 6: Anatomy and Physiology by OpenStax College
• Chapter 6: Visual Anatomy and Physiology by Martini and Ober
• Sections 7.1 – 7.5: Hole’s Anatomy and Physiology by Shier, Butler, and Lewis
1. Describe the main functions of the skeletal system.
Concept Storyline: Bone Functions
2. Compare and contrast the structure, function, and location of each of the following bone types: flat, sutural, long,
irregular, sesamoid, and short.
Concept Storyline: Bone Types
3. Compare and contrast the epiphysis, diaphysis, and metaphysis locations of a long bone, including the location
and physiological significance of the epiphyseal line.
Concept Storyline: Long Bones
4. Compare and contrast the function and location of spongy bone, compact bone, and bone marrow.
Concept Storyline: Bone Interior
5. Compare and contrast the location and function of osteocytes, osteoblasts, and osteoclasts.
Concept Storyline: Bone Cells
6. Describe the location and function of the structures associated with an osteon.
Concept Storyline: Osteon
7. Compare and contrast the location and function of the primary versus secondary ossification centers as they
relate to the processes of endochondral and intramembranous ossification.
Concept Storyline: Ossification
8. Describe the organic and inorganic composition of bone.
Concept Storyline: Bone Composition
9. Describe the hormonal regulation of bone growth rate and blood calcium levels.
Concept Storyline: Blood Calcium and Bone
10. Describe the steps involved in the repair of a bone fracture.
Concept Storyline: Bone Fracture
Michelle Murphy, M.S., M.Ed.
Lake Region State College