Textbook chapters (only one of the following books is necessary, the information covered in the concept questions is
found in each of the books).
• Chapter 17: Anatomy and Physiology by OpenStax College
• Chapter 16: Visual Anatomy and Physiology by Martini and Ober
• Chapter 13: Hole’s Anatomy and Physiology by Shier, Butler, and Lewis
1. Compare and contrast the transmission, molecules, and distribution of effects for direct cellular, paracrine,
endocrine, and synaptic communication.
Concept Storyline: Communication
2. Compare and contrast the chemical structure of hormone amino acids, peptides, and lipids.
Concept Storyline: Hormone Structure
3. Compare and contrast the cellular mechanisms of action of hormones that activate second messengers, steroid
hormones, and thyroid hormones.
Concept Storyline: Hormone Actions
4. Describe the location and functions of the hypothalamus in relation to the endocrine system, including its
relationship with the pituitary gland.
Concept Storyline: Hypothalamus
5. Describe the structure, hormones, and regulation of the pituitary gland.
Concept Storyline: Pituitary Gland
6. Compare and contrast the outcomes of negative and positive feedback as they relate to homeostatic regulation.
Video: Negative Feedback
7. Describe the characteristics, actions, and regulation of hormones of the thyroid gland.
Concept Storyline: Thyroid Gland
8. Describe the hormonal regulation of bone growth rate and blood calcium levels.
Concept Storyline: Blood Calcium and Bone
9. Compare and contrast the structure, hormone production, and regulation of the adrenal medulla and each of the
three layers of the adrenal cortex.
Concept Storyline: Adrenal Gland
10. Compare and contrast the endocrine versus exocrine functions of the pancreas, including the secretions of each
Concept Storyline: Pancreas
11. Describe how hormones of the pancreas work with other body systems to regulate blood sugar.
Concept Storyline: Blood Sugar
12. Describe the location, hormone production, and regulation of the pineal gland.
Concept Storyline: Pineal Gland
13. Compare and contrast the causes and symptoms of Type I (IDDM) and Type II (NIDDM) diabetes mellitus.
Concept Storyline: Diabetes Mellitus
14. Describe the role of natriuretic peptides, erythropoietin, and the renin-angiotensin system in the regulation of
blood volume and blood pressure.
Concept Storyline: Hormones and Blood Pressure
15. Describe the integrative effects of hormones used to regulate growth.
This question is covered in activities
# 5 (Pituitary Gland)
#8 (Blood Calcium and Bone)
16. Identify, in both words and pictures, each of the endocrine structures listed.
Endocrine Labeling Activities
Michelle Murphy, M.S., M.Ed.
Lake Region State College