Textbook chapters (only one of the following books is necessary, the information covered in the concept questions is
found in each of the books).
• Chapter 25: Anatomy and Physiology by OpenStax College
• Chapter 23: Visual Anatomy and Physiology by Martini and Ober
• Chapter 20: Hole’s Anatomy and Physiology by Shier, Butler, and Lewis
1. Describe the structure and function of the nephron, nephron blood supply, and cortical versus juxtamedullary
Concept Storyline: Nephron Structure
2. Compare and contrast the primary location and processes of filtration, reabsorption, and secretion.
Concept Storyline: Nephron Function
Lecture Video: Kidney Structure and Function
3. Describe the component pressures and processes of net filtration pressure and glomerular filtration rate.
Concept Storyline: Glomerular Filtration
4. Compare and contrast the quantities of sodium, potassium, chloride, hydrogen, bicarbonate, glucose, urea, and
creatinine in plasma versus urine, and describe the tubular transport of each.
Concept Storyline: Tubular Transport
5. Describe the role of each of the following in the regulation of glomerular filtration rate: renin, angiotensin I,
angiotensin II, aldosterone, atrial natriuretic peptide and antidiuretic hormone.
Concept Storyline: Regulation of Filtration
6. Describe the importance of countercurrent multiplication in the nephron loop.
Concept Storyline: Countercurrent Metabolism
7. Identify, in both words and pictures, each of the structures listed below.
Urinary System Structures Labeling
More Urinary System Structures Labeling
Michelle Murphy, M.S., M.Ed.
Lake Region State College